Meta, my friend from the Netherlands, shared this recipe with me. If you directly translate “Super Broodjes” from Dutch you get “Mega Buns!” Basically, they’re these delicious salad-stuffed sandwich rolls. It’s a vegetarian dish, not typical Dutch, but delicious!
When she was 12, Meta had a dinner party with her friends in Groningen. She made this recipe, which she found in a cookbook from her mum. Everyone loved the dish, and to this day, her friends still call her up asking for the recipe for those wonderful Super Broodjes they ate when they were little. I wasn’t at the party, but I still got the recipe!
4 spring onions
1 yellow bell pepper
1 beef tomato
3 stalks of celery
chunk of Gouda cheese
1/2 c pineapple pieces, plus some pineapple juice (2 T)
1 c of sour cream
4 T mayo
2 T pesto
4 rolls (hard outside, really soft inside)
a few handfuls of mixed greens
1. Cut the pepper, onion, celery, and tomato in small pieces and put them in a large bowl.
2. Cut the cheese into small cubes and add them to the bowl.
3. Add the sliced pineapple, saving some juice in a separate bowl for the dressing.
4. Mix the sour cream, mayo, and pesto together with the pineapple juice and toss everything together along with the greens.
5. For the buns, take a sharp knife and cut the top part off (just a small round, like a little hat) and get all the soft bread filling out of the buns (save this for dipping into the leftover dressing!). Make sure to leave about 1/2 inch of bread around the sides.
6. Take a spoon and fill the buns with the salad and put the lids back on the buns.